Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Open-Minded Liberals at it again
(03-16-2017, 06:28 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: In addition to that, there's also cultural stereotypes for which sports people play.

When I look at the lacrosse, hockey, baseball, tennis, and wrestling teams at my schools, they're very white. My school is about 31% white and 33% black, so it's not like it's just the make up of the school. Those sports tend to be dominated by white players at the professional.

Are white people naturally better at those sports? No, they're just more likely to grow up watching or playing them, so they are more likely to be the athletes in those sports.

Culturally, black Americans are more likely to grow up playing basketball and football, so they're over represented in those sports.

We have more MLB players than NFL players from Latin America and the Caribbean, some black and some latino. Why? Cause baseball is more popular there. 

I hope it's because we recognize the effect poverty has on educational attainment, but the likely answer is just that people, whether knowingly or not, see the physical attributes as positive and intelligence as being too tied with eugenics. 

I asked a high school coach one time what his plan for the season was. He laughed and said they were down to one black kid, so "I guess we'll just be on the perimeter." For the most part, that's what they stuck with.The only time they even tried layups was when they were looking to draw fouls.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
Open-Minded Liberals at it again - bfine32 - 02-02-2017, 01:49 AM
RE: Open-Minded Liberals at it again - McC - 02-02-2017, 08:04 PM
RE: Open-Minded Liberals at it again - Benton - 03-17-2017, 11:11 AM