Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I must be doing something right...
(03-19-2017, 05:26 PM)Benton Wrote: the unsolicited advice I've given friends running is: Take any issue and imagine what the opposition is going to say is why it shouldn't /wouldn't /couldn't work. Then see if they're right.

a friend of mine just got elected to city council for the first time. She said the thing she wished she had known was not to give an answer or make promises until you have more info than you need. She wanted to respond to city employees/constituents quickly, but said she was surprised by how am issue evolves with each person that becomes involved.

So very true. I want to know both sides to an argument. Not only do you want to ensure you have it right, but also know what their argument will be.

Also, giving the response that you don't have a firm answer on that, but will look into it further and get back to the person asking is a fantastic response. The key, of course, is follow up. People that actually care about the issue will appreciate the truthful response and follow up. There is always more going on policy-wise than you realize as a candidate. A friend of mine is running for our state legislature this year and when she asked me about my legislative concerns she had no idea that the issues I was bringing up were being kicked around and that there were going to be reports released this fall about the issues that would make them big topics next session. I doubt her opponent has a clue, either, but there are so many things out there that a legislature does that it is just difficult to follow it all. And a city council is a legislative body.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: I must be doing something right... - Belsnickel - 03-19-2017, 05:59 PM