Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Charges Prison For Guards Who Allegedly Boiled Schizophrenic Black Man to Death
(03-20-2017, 06:05 PM)Benton Wrote: LeonardLeap's noting of the differences pretty well covers the "more believable" part. There's a lot of editorializing in the first one, some interpretations, some omitted information. My wife was an RN in a psychiatric unit. From her experiences, I find it more believable a mental patient would cover himself or his stuff in feces and he was forced to clean himself up, as opposed to some guards didn't like a black guy so they tortured him.

I respectfully ask, what are the assumptions that gird your belief that the second account is more believable? Also, is there no editorializing, no interpretation in your own assessment I have quoted here?

I find it completely believable a mental patient would cover himself or his stuff in feces. I also find it completely believable some guards don't like all kinds of inmates and mental patients and torture them, and some of the victims and some of the perpetrators of this violence happen to be black. Again, these beliefs are not mutually exclusive. I also add that I don't believe most guards torture inmates. And I believe most guards are not racist.

I also know that the percentage of black people in the US is around 12-13% but in the US prison population the percentage of black people is around 37-38%. So, I know that the odds of anything happening and the chances of the human transaction in question involving a black person are higher in prison because there are more black people there than in the general population. This does not necessarily mean the interaction occurred because the person was black, it just means when there are 3x as many of a certain type of person in a certain environment they will be involved in more transactions, both positive and negative.

Here is a link to support the prison population estimate:
https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics/statistics_inmate_race.jsp
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

Messages In This Thread
RE: No Charges Prison For Guards Who Allegedly Boiled Schizophrenic Black Man to Death - xxlt - 03-21-2017, 06:56 AM