Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I must be doing something right...
(03-25-2017, 09:10 AM)xxlt Wrote: I can relate to pretty much everything in this post. We can only know someone so much through this environment, some even less because they are total frauds. I don't think I know everything about you, but I also don't think you are a fraud.

I also understand the frustration of a living in a representative democracy where very few elected voices represent my views. But, as one of my philosophy teachers used to say, "We live in hope."

I have encountered many people who are minimal government advocates, but I think many have been lied to since Reagan or before, and thus have a false sense of what government is and should be. Our clean air and water, our airports, our roads, our military (way bigger than it needs to be, but whatever), our justice system (warts and all), our consumer protections - these are all provided by government and I for one think they are all pretty damn important. Anyone who wants to destroy government like Bannon or that moron Grover Norquist will get an unending battle from me. Government can, has, will, and should do many things well. Period.

I fear you will increasingly find that the minimal government advocates on the L train want to deregulate financial markets (that works really well for people 99% of us Sarcasm ) but have no problem with regulating butt sex. Sure there are some on the train who want the government out of their bedroom, but they better be careful with their vote because the same vote that legalizes one kind of sodomy can legalize another. (You can stick it to your partner and "the man" can stick it to you!)

So to go back to the thread title, I think what you are doing right - whether you end up more active in local politics or not - is learning more about the whole shebangabang. Good stuff.

Eloquent as always.
The kind words and shared wisdom are always appreciated.
Hopefully I came off ok.
Had a couple bottles of wine at IndianBear winery and watched my friend play guitar/sing.
We met a couple from Findlay and we really hit it off, with conversation.
We already had 2 bottles of wine and they bought us a third.
We indulged, as we couldn't appear rude.

But anyway, I still love Fred.
If anyone did ever wonder about me, I have no problem adding any of you to Facebook.
I am friends with a few people from here.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I must be doing something right... - Rotobeast - 03-25-2017, 12:12 PM