Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something the rest of the world is missing out on
Goetta.. (pronounced Get•ah or gutta to my dad) Yes, that wonderful concoction of steel cut oats, sausage and other stuff that sizzels and pops in the skillet. 
I grew up with grandmas recipe she never wrote down and never shared, but Gliers comes in a strong second. 
Here in South Carolina nobody has the first clue what the stuff is which is a shame. A lot of pork and sausage products are sold in the area, but goetta ain't one of them so on a recent trip to Ohio we purchased about 6 rolls of it and now short of driving all the way to Ohio or coming up with my own recipe we'll be goetta starved unless we shell out about $9 per roll to have it shipped here.
I've tried several recipes online, but none seems to cut it. How the rest of the civilized world has ignored goetta is one of lifes mysteries. I can't think of many food items I like better than Gliers goetta fried in fresh butter with a couple of eggs over easy.
If you live in Cincinnati and have never tried it you're definitely missing out on one of the world's greatest treats. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Something the rest of the world is missing out on - grampahol - 03-27-2017, 02:03 AM