Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voch Lombardi's Mock Pick for Bengals at #9
(03-30-2017, 08:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Fuller was targeted 92 times, with 47 receptions.  The fact that he was credited with only five drops all season is hilarious.  I saw him drop five in one game.  He was not at the line of scrimmage when those drops occurred, as your post would have us believe.  He was downfield.  He was not pressed and shut down.

Here is an article about the steelers recent game plan on AJ Green:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/09/18/Bengals-WR-A-J-Green-is-in-the-business-of-torturing-cornerbacks/stories/201609180180

Not covering him one on one at all. 

Being pressed doesn't mean he was at the line when he dropped the ball. I checked multiple services some credited him with 5 some with 6, but not the large amount you'd have people believe. Understand that being pressed doesn't mean you never got off the line, it means that it disrupted your route enough that it essentially took you out of the play because of the timing. There tends to be a misconception that when someone says a guy can't beat press it means they never make it into their route. A qb has a very short time to look through progressions and make decisions, if a guy is held up at the line too long they will move on to the next progression.

Your article says nothing about coverage, so now I am confused what your even getting at. They said they don't have a CB follow him, that doesn't mean anything to the type of coverage they run. In a zone scheme no one really covers anyone "one on one" by design, but you do carry them out of your zone if there is no one else to pick him up. The fact of the matter is the Steelers play man less than almost anyone in the NFL. What may confuse you is that they run a lot of cover 3, so at the back end of the route especially down field the CB in deep third coverage will carry with him, but the center field safety will break as the ball is thrown so it looks like two guys are there but it wasn't a true double coverage.

So taking the long way back around to the original topic having someone really fast opposite AJ doesn't mean that much. Even using the same assumption that he is doubled, you would have one safety to provide support to a LB on Eiffert or on a WR on the other side. As long as the WR on the opposite side is a competent route runner we have a schematic advantage. WR is a non starter for me simply because with AJ Green on one side anyone can be successful on the other side if we can keep Andy upright enough for him to run his route.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Voch Lombardi's Mock Pick for Bengals at #9 - Au165 - 03-30-2017, 09:25 AM