Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IF You Ever Wonder About the Bengals Not Having Any Money
(03-31-2017, 05:56 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @depthchart
The Bengals ranked 9th in the NFL in spending over the last five years, per the NFLPA. And trust me, they count every dollar. The Bengals are not cheap when it comes to player salaries, despite the narrative. Every agent I’ve talked to over the years, whether their client has come, gone or stayed, has never used that word with me.

It seems like they've gotten rid of their cheapness when it comes to player salaries since the latest CBA. That said, I think they spend it in terribly wasteful ways.

2016:
-The Bengals had the 17th and 23rd highest cap hits for safeties on their team. (Iloka and Williams)
-Peko had the 20th highest cap hit among all DTs.
-Michael Johnson had the 21st highest cap hit among all DEs.
-The Bengals had both the 12th and 15th highest cap hits among all ILBs. (V Rey and R Maualuga)

2015:
-Rey Maualuga had the 6th highest cap hit among all ILBs.
-Leon Hall had the 9th highest cap hit among all CBs.
-Andre Smith had the 5th highest cap hit among all RTs.
-Peko had the 20th highest cap hit among all DTs.

2014:
-Domata Peko had the 11th highest cap hit among all DTs.
-Leon Hall had the 5th highest cap hit among all CBs. (After 2 achilles surgeries.)

And so on..

So in my mind it's less that they're not spending money on players, they're just not spending money on GOOD players. They are often overpaying mediocre/bad talent who are "their guys" and then pointing at how much cap space they have spent.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: IF You Ever Wonder About the Bengals Not Having Any Money - TheLeonardLeap - 03-31-2017, 06:50 PM