Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicago: 12 hours, 1 neighborhood, 7 murders
(04-01-2017, 12:38 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I would go further than that. 

We have an idiot problem. How many kids are killed every year because some dumb ass adult has a loaded weapon picked up by a kid who pulls the trigger. Happens to cops, moms, firearms instructors etc..

When you're a person who is familiar, comfortable with and trained in using firearms your biggest enemy is complacency.  You can never allow yourself to get so confident that you aren't constantly thinking about basic safety.  I had my moment, nothing nearly as egregious as in that video, and it was all it took for me to never get so relaxed at the range again.  I was teaching some friends to shoot, one of them brought some really crappy ammo and had a failure to fire.  He wasn't comfortable clearing it so I safely took the weapon, removed the magazine and turned uprange to clear the round.  The extractor had partially torn the rim of the round off so getting the round out was a delicate affair.  I looked up and my friend had moved directly in front of me, I was totally flagging him.  He had moved so he could see what I was doing so he could do it for himself in the future.  Now, I didn't have my finger anywhere near the trigger, but the fact that I had gotten so fixated on safely removing the round that I had stopped paying attention to where my friend was standing gave me chills.  I've never come close to making a mistake like that again.  Oh, so the story makes sense we were at an outdoor ranger were you get your own large bay, which is how he was able to move around.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chicago: 12 hours, 1 neighborhood, 7 murders - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-01-2017, 11:05 AM