Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicago: 12 hours, 1 neighborhood, 7 murders
(04-01-2017, 11:55 AM)xxlt Wrote: Sorry for exaggerating the gravity of your anecdote.

No you're not, smarmy.

Quote:I guess if there was no danger to your friend it is unclear why this "not flagging someone" is such a big deal. I mean, not doing it being so important suggests there is some inherent danger there, and clearly there wasn't per your response above. Not being a firearms expert I may never understand this, but I am trying to. I feel ignorant, and while it is a familiar feeling, it is one I have tried my whole life to overcome with information when I felt it. Maybe someone else can explain away my ignorance. I would be grateful.

You are ignorant, your feeling is justified.  One of the cardinal rules of firearms safety is to never point the muzzle of your gun at something you don't intend to shoot.  If the gun had been just verified by me as unloaded and my friend got flagged I'd have had the same reaction.  I should have had him stand well clear and he should have followed the instructions he was given earlier in the day, one of which is never be downrange of someone holding a firearm.

Quote:I am surprised to see you line up with pansy nation and say guns are dangerous though.

Of course guns are dangerous, no one would seriously argue against this.  Cars are also dangerous, your garbage disposal is dangerous and your shower is dangerous.  Appropriate caution and forethought will mitigate most of the danger.  In fact, firearms, properly handled, are much safer than cars.

Quote:I am also surprised to see you say they don't magically go off. Someone posted a video of one in this very thread that magically went off, and I heard a firearms sales rep once talking about the Glock pistols that had become so popular with police departments about 15-20 years ago and how they kept magically going off.

The vid you refer to, the instructor discharged the weapon and attempted to cover his embarrassing fail as a mechanical failure.  He had his finger on the trigger, which you are not supposed to do until the gun is pointed at what you are going to shoot.  I can see why you stated you're ignorant, because the statement you just made is the height of gun related ignorance.  As for Glock, the sales rep is 100% full of shit.  I'm just guessing they didn't work for Glock hmm?  No reason at all they would be slagging the Glock product at all then is there?

Quote:I think they were using the phrase, "Accidental discharge," but there were stories about it happening all over the U.S. in police locker rooms, cruisers, homes, and on the street.

Glock's are striker fired pistols.  They have to have a round in the chamber and be ready to fire to function.  They also have no traditional manual safety, unless you count your finger, which anyone who handles firearms seriously does.  Negligent, not accidental, discharges are caused by poor trigger discipline.  Glocks have several different mechanical safeties, they have an excellent drop safety and one of the safeties is built into the trigger itself, meaning the gun cannot discharge unless that safety is depressed by, say, a finger.

Quote:It sure seemed magical when I heard all these accounts of guns "just going off" and doing so "for no reason."

Again, not for "no reason" my ignorant friend, operator error.  If Glocks had such a defect they would have been recalled.  IIRC Glock has never issued a recall.  Remington, OTOH, had to recall some of their 700 series rifle for this type of mechanical failure. 

Quote:Again, maybe someone who is expert can shed some light here on how guns are dangerous but don't just magically go off. I am eager to learn more, especially since our nation's various gun debates don't seem to be subsiding and I like to be an informed debate watcher.

Hopefully this post will shed a little light on the utter depths of your complete lack of firearms knowledge.  I hope you will avail yourself of this wonderful tool for gathering information, it's called the internets, and continue your education.  Maybe if you study hard enough you'll come close to knowing what you're talking about in regards to this subject.  My thanks for your time.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Chicago: 12 hours, 1 neighborhood, 7 murders - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-02-2017, 04:04 PM