Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infrastructure Lessons from Venice
(04-04-2017, 06:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think a big problem with infrastructure today is, isn't it all union work now? Unions were good in the past when they were needed, but after this long of fighting for more pay for less work, we've gotten to the point where projects just take far too long and cost far too much.

Look at that bridge in Atlanta that collapsed from the fire. 350ft of interstate needs to be replaced. It is going to take multiple months and they have set aside $10m to fix it.

Think about that. 350ft of interstate will take multiple months and cost $10m. Are they hand crafting this shit out of marble carried by foot from the mine?

Meanwhile in 55 BC, the Romans built a 1,000 ft bridge across a river that was 30ft deep to march 40,000 people and their supplies across it. It took them 10 days.

I'm guessing it was like a lot of roman projects at the time and completed with slave labor.

there's nothing wrong with unions, they just make sure workers get paid for their labor. We had a barge hit a bridge that wad due to be replaced. The state opted to fix the current bridge. Union labor got it done weeks ahead of schedule and on budget. But we just went with right to work so I dont think that will be as common. I dont know Georgia's laws, but sounds like the company is getting what they can out of the state.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Infrastructure Lessons from Venice - Benton - 04-04-2017, 09:21 PM