Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infrastructure Lessons from Venice
(04-04-2017, 09:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This video went viral in our office, as I work for and engineering firm that specializes in infrastructure, and is a preferred consultant to the NC DOT.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2016/nov/15/japanese-workers-repair-road-48-hours-after-sinkhole-appears-video

But yes, it is quite amazing how bogged down any project with public funding is.

That's a pretty impressive video.

- - - - -
I don't think this is actually technically public funding, in the example of the Atlanta interstate. The US Transportation Secretary released the $10m in funds and apparently the Federal Highway Administration has pledged more emergency repair funds. So it's not like Atlanta needs to pass a special tax or anything to pay for this.

Yet apparently their targeted goal date for repairs being finished  is June 15th.

(04-04-2017, 09:21 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm guessing it was like a lot of roman projects at the time and completed with slave labor.

there's nothing wrong with unions, they just make sure workers get paid for their labor. We had a barge hit a bridge that wad due to be replaced. The state opted to fix the current bridge. Union labor got it done weeks ahead of schedule and on budget. But we just went with right to work so I dont think that will be as common. I dont know Georgia's laws, but sounds like the company is getting what they can out of the state.

Military built, so more or less depending on if you ask an officer or an enlisted. Ninja It was also all local resources used to build it. So it wasn't pre-fab and put together there or anything.

I'm not saying unions are entirely bad, and they DO have a purpose, it's just that it's kind of slowly added up to start being a bad thing. I think it was GM or Ford was paying like 4.5 people to do 1 person's job with pensions and benefits and all that.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Infrastructure Lessons from Venice - TheLeonardLeap - 04-04-2017, 09:23 PM