Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CNN tries to push narrative to make Trump look bad and it backfires
(04-09-2017, 02:27 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Apples to oranges.

Saddam invaded and occupied Kuwait and refused to withdraw from the region. How is that comparable to what is going on with Syria?

Hard on?

I'm not saying we should start sending in US troops all willy nilly to oust Assad. I'm just saying I'm in support of military action, but I'm not sure as to what I would support concerning it. Even if I am completely supportive of sending in troops, I don't see why I'm disqualified of supporting that position just because I'm not in the military. If I was sitting here criticizing American citizens for not joining the military but not in the military myself, your argument would actually make sense. Right now it doesn't.

It's not apples to oranges. Use of military force is use of military force. Any country always has the right to defend itself without UN approval. Otherwise, there is a protocol like we followed during Desert Storm. That protocol applies to use of military force directed against countries for internal conflicts as the case is with Syria now.

It's easier to suggest others should go off to combat than yourself or a family member. Assad is responsible for war crimes. There is a right way and a wrong way to try to remove him. The situation is already complicated enough without adding another forceful regime change while risking openarmed conflict with Russia instead of the quasi-proxy war we are both supporting currently.

There is still a chance for diplomacy that by cooperating to defeat ISIS Russia, Syria, the US, the UN, and other interested parties could negotiate Assad to step down or follow Saddam's fate. That would be better for both Assad, the people of Syria, and the US.

Messages In This Thread
RE: CNN tries to push narrative to make Trump look bad and it backfires - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 04-09-2017, 04:23 PM