Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The big difference between Dan Rooney and Mike Brown
(04-14-2017, 10:59 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Does anyone else find it concerning that Roger Goodell stated that, "He talked to Dan Rooney every day for over 20 years" and "Dan Rooney was a mentor to him." I'm not a conspiracy theory guy, but should one NFL team owner have that much sway/influence with the Commissioner of the league? Do you think Mike Brown talked with Goodell every day? I'd be surprised if Mike talked with him once a year. Regardless.....Rooney knew how to win and run a franchise. If only we were so lucky.

Rooneys got Roger his job. Of course they're best buddies. It's not a conspiracy theory. It's just a fact that there's bias.

(04-14-2017, 11:02 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Take Willie Anderson as the only example. Not counting players whose contracts had expired and wound up signing for big money elsewhere - I can't think of any legendary Bengals that were cut once they started slipping. Mike must have been in a weird mood. Cutting both Willie and Rudi (9 years ago) was very uncharacteristic for him. 

As for Noll and Cowher...He kept a couple coaches that combined for 28 playoff wins and 5 championships. Even before Cowher's championship run, he had 8 playoff wins and a SB appearance. If Mike Brown kept guys like that "too long" I'd be just fine with it. Instead he holds on to guys like Shula, Coslet and Marvin Lewis.

Rudi was cut because he had a sub-3.0 YPC season. That's pretty much a guarantee to get cut as a RB, for anyone anywhere. Rudi was always terribly overrated anyway. 3 1k+ seasons, of 4.0, 4.3, and 3.8 YPC. Career sub-4.0 YPC. Only two seasons with a rush longer than 33 yards.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The big difference between Dan Rooney and Mike Brown - TheLeonardLeap - 04-14-2017, 12:46 PM