Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why it looks to me like Mike Williams may just be the Bengals choice.
(04-19-2017, 10:43 AM)depthchart Wrote: You make some good points, however, I am not concerned with the Laquon Treadwell comparisons I have heard from many people.

Treadwell is only 6 foot 2 inches tall as compared to Mike Williams at 6 foot 3 and 5/8 inches.
Treadwell posted a 4.63 forty time compared to Mike Williams time of 4.50 with an extra inch and 5/8 of height.
I think he will be much better than Treadwell but you have a valid point to consider..

The 4.50 was what one scout/team got via hand timing. There were plenty of reports of teams getting (much) slower than that at Williams' pro day.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/did-deshaun-watson-or-mike-williams-change-any-minds-at-clemson-pro-day/

Quote:Possibly the most anticipated 40-yard dash for any pro day around the country was from Williams, who elected not to run at the Combine. He took the extra time to train for the drill and ran his sprints Thursday in the 4.55-4.58 range, depending on the stopwatch.

A player who I haven't seen Williams compared much to but might actually be pretty spot-on is a shorter, less explosive version of Mike Evans. Williams is ~1.5" shorter than Evans, also about 1.5" shorter arms, about 15 lbs lighter. Williams had a 32.5" vert whereas Evans had a 37" vert.
With that said, both are vertical players that won't beat you with speed but will use size to their advantage. Both are not great route runners. Evans ran a 4.53 at the Combine which was solid given he was 231 lbs.
Mike Evans has had a pretty darn good first three years to his career with 3578 yards and 27 TDs, but that was with him being slotted directly opposite VJax, not having to earn playing time with a guy like LaFell and a former second round draft pick in Tyler Boyd in front of him.

If the comparison is accurate, how much less productive would Mike Evans be if he were 1.5" shorter, had 1.5" shorter arms, and had a 4.5" shorter vert? Because that might be exactly what you get out of Mike Williams.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why it looks to me like Mike Williams may just be the Bengals choice. - ochocincos - 04-19-2017, 11:47 AM