Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Exclusive: Putin-linked think tank drew up plan to sway 2016 U.S. election - document
(04-22-2017, 09:54 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Did Hillary get more votes? Yes. So what am I on about?

People keep using statements like "most Americans" when discussing Hillarys popular vote but saying "most Americans" is a misleading statement and makes Hillary sound insanely popular around the nation when she isnt.

What are people "on about" when they talk about Hillary "crushing" Trump in the popularity vote (which she didnt)?

People aren't just bringing up the popular vote to say Hillary won as if it's just some simple acknowledgement.. They're using it as a basis for California to secede the union because even they know that Hillary won the popular vote because of California. They're challenging Trump's legitimacy as president because they believe "most Americans" again, an illusory statement, want her to be president. They're calling for an end to the electoral college because she won by 2% in the popular vote. 

Is 3 million people a lot? Of course it is, but in the discussion of a nation as a whole it really isn't a "swamping" number. The issue isn't whether or not she won the popular vote. The issue is the silly lambasting and gloating that comes from it because of the way people frame the argument as "most Americans"

Hillary won 48% of the vote. That means the other 52% or "most" Americans didn't want her to be president.

I missed the post in which someone said Clinton crushed Trump in the popular vote. But 2.9 million is not a negligible margin. and it had to be stacked on 60 million other votes to get there.  That's a lot of Americans.

People may legitimately question Trump's legitimacy in an election marred by foreign interference, unusual FBI behavior, and active disinformation campaigns--not all of which originated from Russia. That doesn't mean the election was not legal and subject to legal challenge. This is not like the last time a terrible Republican candidate lost the popular vote, won the electoral college, and started the country on a path to war and recession. That one was about the electoral college.

PS working from Trump's percentage of the vote, how many Americans did not want him to be president?  I would not normally bother counting up the dissidents, but I want to point out it is not a tactic that works in your favor.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Exclusive: Putin-linked think tank drew up plan to sway 2016 U.S. election - document - Dill - 04-23-2017, 03:15 PM