Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With Merkel's Foes in Disarray, Germany Defies the Trump Trend
(04-24-2017, 02:57 AM)hollodero Wrote: I don't think stopping immigration is the answer though.
Concerning the current "influx", I still think we have a moral obligation to help those fleeing death and destruction. The pictures of the Sarin attack just vizualized what is going on day in day out in Syria, killing, massacring and so forth. Some flee Assad and other gruesome murderers, but many of the refugees flee radical Islam too, they are not here to promote it. Our position gets a bit tricky if we refute to help those fleeing radical Islam out of refusal of radical Islam. 
Merkel took a brave stance, wise or not so wise - a humanitarian one that doesn't benefit her in any way, and that I feel needs to be respected in a politician. I think the problem starts with what happens with the people after they are allowed to stay. There we fail. Miserably.

And, it should be noted, the goal is not for the refugees to remain in Europe permanently. Those refugees would rather be home, and the goal is to make that happen.

I think the problem is that a lot of people conflate several different issues into one when it comes to what is going on in Europe.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: With Merkel's Foes in Disarray, Germany Defies the Trump Trend - Belsnickel - 04-24-2017, 09:08 AM