Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential Reason for AJM Trade
(04-24-2017, 08:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Interesting analogy with Tebow, as he actually beat the steelers in the playoffs whereas AJM had them beat before the implosion.  They were totally different QBs, though.  Tebow was more of a read-option QB with a great threat as a runner.  

As far as not having the physical tools, I completely disagree.  He isn't a runner even of Dalton's caliber, but his arm is not suspect as many have described.  He had what is commonly referred to as a "dead arm" when he came out of Alabama.  That is the same thing Colin Kaepernick is now being described as having and after DeShawn Watson threw a measly 49 MPH on the gun at the combine, teams are starting to wonder the same thing about him.  It makes sense, as all of those guys saw a lot of action in college.

They basically red-shirted him his rookie season to heal and strengthen his shoulder and he responded extremely well.  A lot of those injuries require surgery if a certain tendon is torn (I had this) but his just needed a lot of PT. 

The point about his age is valid, despite the fact that we keep seeing guys like Fitzpatrick get a shot around the league.  Someone recently quoted the best value in the NFL is a QB on his rookie contract.  

I don't think anything will happen and he will still be here, but I hope for his sake and the goal of getting additional help (hopefully at pick #33) that it will.  

Oh I wasn't comparing them at a physical standpoint, I thought that would be obvious. They are/were much different QB's. Tebow was a way better athlete, while I think McCarron is much more accurate and doesn't have that huge wind up (which is what messed with Tebow's accuracy). Tebow did have a wayyy better game against the Steelers, throwing for 316 yards with a 125.6 passer rating, leading his offense to 29 points. McCarron had 212 yards, a 68.3 rating and led his offense to 16 points. Not even close.

Either way, I was just using Tebow as an example of how leadership isn't everything and is often overrated (I'd venture to say that this is an understatement). The age thing isn't a huge deal as QB's can often play deep into their 30's, but I do think it's worth considering if you're weighing Mac vs a rookie you may be interested in.

The arm we'll just have to disagree on. I didn't see Mac put much mustard on throws. Even some of his short stuff looked lofted compared to the short darts Andy throws. A memorable example of this was this play. A staple of our offense. It seemed like that ball took forever to get there, and it gave the CB ample time to jump it. As for his speed/athleticism, he ran a 4.94 with a 28" vert. It's safe to say athleticism isn't viewed as a plus.

We're in the same boat on wanting him traded, but I think it's very likely he won't be...unless some team misses out on a QB early and gets desperate. That's our best hope I'd say.

(04-24-2017, 10:51 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: No doubt, they did think higher of Brock. But, you are ignoring the fact major difference kicking tires for less than $800K a year versus 17 million a year. QB needy teams will have to pay millions a year for a rookie QB starter or a veteran with flaws too like Griffin (1st round pick and #1 overall), Colin or many others.

AJM value is his contract and his brains dissecting defenses. I am not saying he is a franchise or top 20 QB in the NFL, but for that low price tag there is little risk to figure it out in my opinion. Thus, on the Bengals side the exact reason they don't care his draft position (5th round) because now it is irrelevant just as is the draft position of Tom Brady, Wilson, Favre, Prescott and the many other QB'S who were not 1st round picks.

AJM may be a better stop gap NFL starter for a few teams in my opinion who could develop into a top 15 to 20 NFL QB at a low risk financially.

...and you're ignoring the fact that even if a team likes what they see after that 800k trial run, they'd immediately be faced with a potential nightmare scenario of losing him after 1 year. Not to mention the fact that his salary would suddenly balloon to way more than what any rookie makes. Jared Goff got a 4 year, 28 million contract last year as the #1 overall pick. By QB terms, that's an amazing deal from the team's perspective. Far less than what McCarron would make if he actually panned out. That's why I didn't address the 800k bargain for McCarron...it's only a bargain if it doesn't work out...which would be bad anyway because it'd mean wasted picks. If it does work out, then said team is risking (a) losing him after 1 year and (b) possibly signing a 1 year wonder to a long term deal. 

I feel like some of you guys never think about this from the other team's perspective. Any team that trades for McCarron will be...

1. Giving up premium draft picks for a 27 year old QB with 4 starts who was drafted in the (late) 5th round.
2. Due to expectations from surrendering said picks the team would obviously be handing over the keys to this QB for the season.
3. If Mac doesn't work out, you look foolish and lost picks.
4. If he does work out, you could immediately have a Kirk Cousins situation, where you don't want to commit to a long term deal for a possible one-hit-wonder.
5. If Mac works out, he will still be more expensive than any rookie QB, even a 1st overall pick.

You don't see where this could potentially become a disaster whether or not Mac pans out? Teams think about this stuff. On paper, it doesn't look very enticing to me. McCarron would have to be 100% the real deal for me to consider it, and I don't think he proved that after our offense had 4 of their 5 worst outputs with McCarron under center.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Potential Reason for AJM Trade - SHRacerX - 04-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Potential Reason for AJM Trade - BenZoo2 - 04-20-2017, 03:55 PM
Potential Reason for AJM Trade - BenZoo2 - 04-21-2017, 10:38 AM
RE: Potential Reason for AJM Trade - Shake n Blake - 04-24-2017, 11:55 AM