Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McShay predicts Bengals' first 3 picks
(04-21-2017, 12:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: As pointed out below, we no longer subscribe to the giant DE. We just traded for a 6'3 DE and Guenther did note that size isn't that big an issue.

Chris Smith is 6'3"? On his draft analysis page he was listed as 6'1" i am pretty sure.

(04-21-2017, 03:34 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Going by the current roster, only 1 DE out of 5 is shorter than 6-6.

The new guy they just brought in is being talked about as a LB, rush end or specialized type of player - not a rotational, regular down DE, which is what you think the Bengals would be looking for with that high of a pick. Plus, they JUST brought in a shorter guy. Why would they now want 3 (assuming Gilberry is on the opening day roster)? That flies in the face of what the Bengals look for in DEs.

I'm not saying I agree with the height requirement. Just pointing out that, REGARDLESS OF A COORDINATOR'S COMMENTS BEFORE THE NFL DRAFT <----- if you're gullible enough to believe him, the Bengals have not kept a DE around shorter than 6-6, save for Gilberry, in many seasons.

BTW, I can't find the article with the Guenther comments you two are referring to. Could you link it to me? Not being a smart ass, I would like to read it.

I actually trust what Guenther says unlike Marv and some of the other coaches.

He is willing to adjust unlike Marv. It was a good article as Au165 here said was back in January/February on bengals.com.

Paulie spoke of not just drafting the usual tall Ends and said something to the point of it doesn't matter the size as long as
he can get the job done. Said it is more important to have longer arms so he can disengage rather than just how tall they
are. We all know some of the best DE's in the game don't have to be really tall.

Look at Von Miller and Kahlil Mack, i know they are more 3-4 Ends but still. Production is what we should be after more
than size like a Taco Charlton who doesn't get off his blocks very fast and dances around too much.

(04-21-2017, 03:43 PM)Au165 Wrote: Evolution is a crazy thing. How we did stuff in the past doesn't dictate future decisions only how those decisions were made previously. We have broken a lot of personnel and drafting trends in recent years, so to think we could again isn't weird, especially when a coordinator flat out said he doesn't care about the height.

The article was on Bengals.com sometime between January and March, not sure when.

Yeah.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: McShay predicts Bengals' first 3 picks - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 04-24-2017, 03:19 PM