Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marketing to people with money
When I travel I usually stay at modest places - LaQuinta, Red Roof Inn, that sort of place. Occasionally I will end up somewhere nicer - like a Hyatt. I have not paid for internet service in a room for at least 10 years - including trips to Europe and Central America. Free wifi is a pretty standard offering even at really crummy places like a Days Inn. Recently I checked into a Westin, where I was informed that for only $14 a day I could have internet service in my room, but if I joined the free rewards program I would get FREE internet. Considering it is free at even the cheapest places, this seemed really weird. First it was weird because I had to think really hard to remember the last time it wasn't free. And, since it is something I just assumed was free, the $14 a day price seemed really insane. Then I thought, well maybe the people who stay at the Westin just fork it over, or maybe they like being told (as I heard a customer checking out when I checked in being told) "Oh, Mrs. Silverspooninyoursnatch, I see you have $56 in internet charges, but of course, as a member of our rewards program, you won't be paying those!" Then she walks out with her nose just a bit in the air looking at me like, "Yeah, that's right a-hole, I am a member of an exclusive club and they GIVE me that because I am SPECIAL." Fifteen minutes later I was in the same special club and annoyed that it took extra time to check in and wondering if all higher end places have to dream up moronic marketing ploys like this to make the privileged feel privileged. Do people with coin think differently and really think they are getting something special in a goofy situation like this?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Marketing to people with money - xxlt - 08-01-2015, 09:12 PM
RE: Marketing to people with money - xxlt - 08-02-2015, 08:38 AM
RE: Marketing to people with money - xxlt - 08-02-2015, 08:42 AM
RE: Marketing to people with money - xxlt - 08-02-2015, 08:44 AM