Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Insider information: Things I think I know heading in to the first day of the draft
(04-26-2017, 08:42 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It seems that the way this draft is set up with a ton of really good players, but not a lot of elites, that accumulating picks is the way to go.  Like you said, however, almost every team is looking for the same thing and many won't offer much to move up.  

My dream is they get Ross, trade AJM for the #33 pick, and then get lucky with a player like Tak McKinley as an outside speed rusher.  Then, with their actual pick in the 2nd round, they can sit back and see what player falls to them.  Obi Melifonwu?  Dalvin cook?  Cam Robinson?  Someone is going to slide.  Always happens.  And without huge pressing needs after getting Ross and McKinley, they can look for playmakers at almost any position.  

Yea, and that's the kicker.

Unless Allen, Thomas, Hooker, Fournette, Adams or Garrett inexplicably falls to us at 9, then we're likely looking at a pick between guys that all have an identical grade.

Here is my thinking in terms of the "classes" of prospects:

Truly Elite (A+):
Myles Garrett
Leonard Fournette
Johnathan Allen
Jamal Adams
Malik Hooker

Extremely good prospect (A):
Solomon Thomas
Marshon Lattimore
O.J. Howard
Christian McCaffrey

Very good Prospect (B+):
Reuben Foster

Good Prospect (B ):
John Ross
Mike Williams
Corey Davis
Derek Barnett
Taco Charlton
Haason Reddick
Tre'Davious White
Takkarist McKinley
Charles Harris
David Njoku
Dalvin Cook
Mitch Trubisky
Kevin King
Malik McDowell
Forrest Lamp
Cam Robinson
Ryan Ramczyk
DeShaun Watson
Patrick Mahomes

So, honestly, anyone in that B range can go between 10 and 32 and it would be a good value. I really wish we had a shot at one of the truly elite talents, but it looks like most of them will be gone by the time we get our shot at them. And, with those guys gone, the value at 9 is kind of stripped, making it a case where we can either draft a position we don't need due to value, like Marshon Lattimore, or we draft a guy we could have theoretically gotten in the middle of the round. Who goes in what order will rely entirely on the needs and preferences of the team that is on the clock.

It makes for a mighty confusing draft to decipher.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Insider information: Things I think I know heading in to the first day of the draft - CJD - 04-26-2017, 10:27 AM