Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
feeling good about this year's D...
(08-01-2015, 05:33 PM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: Atkins was the 120th, Burfict wan't drafted. Dawson will contribute, he fits what we do very well

Great logic. Margus Hunt was 53rd. Dontay Moch was 66th. A lot more guys were drafted in the 3rd or later rounds that don't contribute at all than guys that actually play a role and/or end up being good rookies. Can't really assume he'll be a contributor because Atkins/Burfict without also using the logic that he won't because Hunt/Moch. In reality, none of our past players have anything to do with Paul Dawson. His draft position, however, does show at least something. How many guys taken at the end of the 3rd round are forced to start and actually do a good job in their rookie year? I'd put money on not too many.

Atkins and Burfict have NO bearing on what our players will do. It actually sucks that Burfict ended up being so good because now part of our fanbase always assumes every single player we draft or have come in as a UDFA will be a big time contributor because Vontaze happened.

(08-02-2015, 10:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm pretty stoked about the DL and DBs, but the LB corps still scares the heck out of me.  I just don't see any team winning championship football, with holes in the middle of the field.

We should find out what the D is really about, early on.  Rivers and Wilson will certainly do their best to exploit the LBs in coverage.

I agree with this for the most part, we just have to really hope the DL and DBs play at a high enough level to mask the LB weakness as it has in the past. The big issue I see is that if Burfict isn't out there, this is easily the worst LB corp we've seen in Cincinnati since 2011. I don't think having holes this big is good for a team contending for a title, there are a lot of questions here. Is Dawson as good as half the message board thinks (especially as a rookie)? Will Burfict come back earlier than most believe? Will Hawk be mediocre or better for us?

I think if the answer is "yes" for at least 2 of those 3 questions, we'll be fine. I just don't know how likely each of those is.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: feeling good about this year's D... - djs7685 - 08-02-2015, 10:23 AM