Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Insider information: Things I think I know heading in to the first day of the draft
(04-25-2017, 09:08 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Here is what I have learned.  

The Bengals agree that Ross is a dynamic playmaker and they aren't concerned with his medicals.  He could be our pick at #9.  That isn't just wishful thinking by me, as he is my hope for our first pick.  They feel that NFL teams would have to play two deep safeties, which would open up the running game.  This last worked when they had Henry (how many times have we said that here!) and it allowed for Rudi's 1400 yard season.

All of the Bengals TEs were injured last year, and injured significantly.  Some played through the injuries, some could not.  They are still very high on Kroft, Uzomah, Hewitt, and Eifert.  They agree that Howard is a great prospect, but when pressed, they may lean towards the player in Ross as he does more to open up the running game by keeping the safeties back.  

They like the production of Derek Barnett, but are disappointed with his speed.  They don't think that he will be their top 10 pick.  

The backup guard Alex Redmond, from UCLA, has impressed the Bengals quite a bit.  He apparently didn't have the same strength training program in college and has put on nearly 20 lbs and has really impressed them with his improvement.  Andre Smith may actually be more of a backup to Fisher at RT, should Ced struggle and Fisher moves to the left side.  The competition at RG could be Westerman vs. Redmond, and they really, really like Redmond.  

More on Ced:  they feel they did him a tremendous disservice by moving him to RT.  They feel there is no way he won't be ready to be an excellent LT this year.  He has added strength, if fully healthy, and they believe that if he was being drafted in this year's draft class, he would undoubtedly be the first offensive lineman taken.

They feel that there will be excellent choices at RB, but I felt a certain interest in Donta Foreman.  They likely won't be taking one of them very early.  

They like Jordan Willis, but don't love him.  They feel he will be overdrafted because of the speed he ran at the combine but that his speed didn't translate to his playing speed.  I emphasized the difference in his "get off" on film on obvious pass rushing downs, where (as a LDE) he didn't have to worry about a RB assignment as a read-option.

They are REALLY high on Billings, WJIII, and Clayton Fedjelum.  They think all three will be significant contributors this year.  

I didn't get anything specific about AJM, but I will surmise that they will keep him as insurance to Dalton having an injury.  They feel so strongly about a lot of their roster that they don't have to deal AJM and get a specific position that can't be addressed with their draft picks.

I'm personally still hopeful they can trade him to Cleveland for #33 overall and get another stud LB to go with their current crop.  That is one of the only positions where I see the depth as really thin, other than Tackle and RB.  

That's all I've got, folks.  Here's to a draft that we look back on and remember as the one that started the Championship run!!!

I agree with you on almost everything.  I would love ross at 9 even tho no one mocks him that high, but he's a great scheme fit for our team and thats what matters to me.  Ive settled on about 7 guys who i think we could see in the first and would be happy with any of them.  People get hung up one guy and think he's the only pick that will make them happy and thats a recipe for a very unhappy life.  

I think they could trade AJM and really have postured him to be an option depending on need after first round run on these bad quarterbacks.  If the browns don't draft a qb in the first and in the 2nd most of them are gone than AJM could look like a really good option even if he's just a temporary fit.  Same thing can be said for Jets or Cardinals. 

I think its clear they want LF and may trade up in the end of first to secure Mixon.  The top end of this RB is so good that they will make a play for someone.  Foreman is good, but is he really better than Hill ?  I think they would be let down 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Insider information: Things I think I know heading in to the first day of the draft - Okeana - 04-27-2017, 10:23 AM