Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maualuga's injury may give Nico Johnson a chance
I don't think Ray's injury is very bad. And I don't think NIco will take his job. But even if the injury just limits Maualuga's playing time in training camp it will give Nico a chance to show what he has

http://www.al.com/sp....77fe9875cd7435

Lengthy article, but here are the highlights.

. . . Johnson picked up a ball, jumped up without taking any steps and dunked the ball with two hands.

"That was my first time dunking in a long time, and I was thinking like, 'Dang, my legs haven't felt this good in awhile," said Johnson, a significant contributor at Alabama from 2009-12 who now plays for the Cincinnati Bengals.

To Johnson, this is the best he has felt physically since he was a senior at Alabama as he prepares to compete for a roster spot and a role with the Bengals,

Johnson drafted in the 4th round in 2013, but he was recovering from surgery for a sports hernia before his rookie season. Last off season he was recovering from an ankle injury.

Johnson played in all 12 of the Bengals' remaining games after being signed off the Kansas City practice squad. Johnson started twice in place of injured middle linebacker Rey Maualuga and had 10 tackles during a November game against the Cleveland Browns.

But not all of Nico's problems were physical. Here is what he said about his own self-evaluation of his play for the Bengals

"That was probably the most miserable, difficult time of my career as far as football," Johnson said. "I didn't know what to do. I was frustrated with myself. I was frustrated with my teammates. I was frustrated with my coaches. I was just frustrated all the way around. But then it came to the last two weeks I was there, and I self-evaluated. I sat down and watched film from my rookie year. I watched film from camp that year, and I wasn't playing like I was capable of.

"So I went back and watched film from when I was at Alabama, and it looked like two totally different players, and I couldn't help to blame myself. I've got to take responsibility because I wasn't making the plays that they're putting me out there to make. Pretty much, when that came to, I just let all of that anger and frustration go and just said that I'm going to get better."

Who thinks he might make the final 53 man roster?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Maualuga's injury may give Nico Johnson a chance - fredtoast - 08-02-2015, 12:52 PM