Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With Merkel's Foes in Disarray, Germany Defies the Trump Trend
(04-27-2017, 11:20 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well if you don't like that the right is saying it, then listen to    Maher and Harris.  Two very liberal atheists who have nothing nice to say about Christianity or Judaism either.  Except that they won't try to kill you if you say bad things about them or draw a picture of their prophet.  You can dunk the Christians most holy figure in piss and people will get mad, but they won't put out a hit on you.  Look at Dino's link on post 69.

Are there, somewhere in the world, Muslims who won't try to kill you if you say bad things about them or draw a picture of their prophet?   If so, then "tolerating" Muslims who do not kill people for cartoons, as do leftists, should not be conflated with tolerating people who do.

My point was not that I don't like the rights' criticism of Islam because they are rightists. My point is that the criticism is contradictory. On the one it upholds "liberal" values of tolerance which conservatives have not themselves practiced in order to scapegoat an entire religion.   You can't preen yourself for the civil tolerance won over hundreds of years by others while at the same time practicing intolerance in a new direction.

This does not become suddenly ok when Maher and Harris do it. My primary objection to those two is that they actually know very little about Islam or other cultures in general. They don't know the origin/development of current conflicts and the beliefs which drive them. They read news accounts and polls, and then extrapolate "what must be" from them. They draw support for others similarly ill-informed. The less you know, the more sense they make.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: With Merkel's Foes in Disarray, Germany Defies the Trump Trend - Dill - 04-27-2017, 04:56 PM