Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With Merkel's Foes in Disarray, Germany Defies the Trump Trend
(04-28-2017, 10:19 PM)Dill Wrote: Umm, I can see that ONE of the three Abrahmic religions is ruled out right away. Beyond that I do not see a clear demarcation if slavery, rape, and murder are the criteria. That ancient Jews did not "forcibly convert" is hardly redeeming when you consider the alternative, as they saw it.  Not looking for a big argument here. Just sayin'.

At the risk of appearing to let Sam Harris do all my thinking for me I'd refer you to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX-UPcrejHc

It pretty much sums up my feelings on Israel and judaism.  Also, while you are correct, and is pointed out in my link, that parts of the old testament are as vile as you will find in any book, maybe the worst example there is, you won't find many jews who subscribe to them, now or a thousand years ago.  If we operate on your assertion that the only real difference in the origins of judaism and islam is the idea of forced conversion we must ask a very important follow up question.  Why then do we get such disparate results from their faithful, again, not only now, but centuries ago?

Quote:I add that hippy-like qualities of Christianity's founder have not inhibited slavery, rape, forced conversion, and murder, to the degree one might expect, though I think they have made a difference at various points in the history of Christianity.  Only ONE of the three monotheisms says "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." The other two were in agreement on stoning.

I would counter that much of the extremism of christianity was based on the words of the old testament, both historically and today.  You know exactly what kind of christian you are dealing with the moment you hear, "in Leviticus".  Jesus doesn't get off lightly for me, as he introduced one of the most vile concepts of all time IMO, that of eternal damnation for failure to follow his edicts.  However, in so doing I think he, perhaps inadvertently, advanced the idea that punishing someone in this life (the only life we get by my thinking) is both pointless and meaningless in the face of the punishment they face upon their death.  So a vile idea actually spares violence in the real world and, like I said, inadvertently made this world better to live in.  Regardless, one thing you cannot, ever, claim about Jesus is that he was a conquering warlord who routinely engaged in violence.  

Messages In This Thread
RE: With Merkel's Foes in Disarray, Germany Defies the Trump Trend - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 04-29-2017, 01:54 PM