Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades!
(05-01-2017, 01:04 AM)Whatever Wrote: 1.I would make the argument here that DL being a bigger need than WR is a highly subjective point of view.  In fact, it is impossible to make that argument statistically.  We were tied for 19th in sacks last year and 26th in passing TD's.  To further that point, we were 8th in scoring defense last year and 24th in scoring offense.  I realise that some favor the "build through the trenches" philosophy or the "build a dominant defense" philosophy, but unbiased statistical analysis would indicate that offense was a bigger need than defense.  Your critique of this pick also fails to take into account larger draft strategy.  This draft was very deep with pass rushers, and they took the WR that would have a great immediate impact over the pass rusher because they knew they could get a quality DE later and would not be able to get an impact player at WR later.

As far as the critique of Ross as a player, I see some valid concerns and some false statements.  He led the nation in red zone TD's last year with 12, which debunks the "he's nothing but speed" critique.  He has great agility and quickness, and does a great job of using jab steps to get DB's out of position.  His knees are currently healthy, although I understand some degree of concern going forward.  He played through his shoulder injury since week 5 and waited until after his Pro Day to have surgery, and he said in his news conference after the draft that he will be ready for TC.  It should also be noted that the top rated LB and S at that pick have also had shoulder surgery during the off-season.

2.I can't really see how RB wasn't a need with Burkhead's departure, Gio's injury, Hill's decline, and the overall poor performance of the offense last year.  We traded back once in 2nd round and there is no guarantee Mixon would have been there had we done so again or if anyone was even interested in moving up into that spot.  If we're going to talk "having our cake and eating it too," I think it's a little unfair to bag on Ross and Lawson over long term health concerns, but say RB isn't a big need when our best one is coming off of major knee surgery.

3.The fact that a player of Willis' caliber was available here goes a long way to validate the Bengals going offense with the first two picks.  Their draft strategy worked.

4.Lawson is a great talent who fell due to his health concerns.  However, with the Bengals drafting him after Willis, they hedged their bets with him.  If he stays healthy, we have a monster DE rotation.  If he doesn't, we still have Willis.  With 12 picks, they could afford to spend a 4th on a high risk/high reward prospect at a position of need.

5.Our WR depth was frankly poor going into the draft.  James Wright was good enough to make the team last year, for pete's sake, and he contributed nothing.  Our #3 through #6 WR's combined for one TD over 16 games, and that's with missing the #1 WR for a month.  Malone has the physical tools to be a big time contributer if they can polish his route running.  Quality competition at any position group is never a bad thing.

6.Noticing a trend, here.  

7.Simply put, there wasn't a player at another position that would have the impact as a rookie that Elliott will if he beats out Bullock.

8.Dielman is probably my least favorite pick, but if you honestly thought there was a C in this draft that was going to be able to come in and upgrade Bodine, you either vastly overrated this C class or vastly underrated Bodine. 

Not bad points. For discussion sake:
1. Our offense had a lot of problems. WR talent was maybe fourth out of four areas (line, predictable playcalling, redzone play, WRs). Our DL on the other hand was pretty much two guys doing the job of four. One of those guys not doing as much (Peko) is gone with a question makr in his place. The other (MJ) has some left in the tank, but he needs to be a part of a bigger rotation.

And honestly, I haven't seen much of a draft strategy the last several years. It was our strong point up until about the AJ/Andy draft. Since then, we gamble and haven't been hitting like we used to.

As far as the assumption on WR over DE to get more of an impact, eh, I'll disagree. There's a chance Ross won't play much this season. In the draft they were talking about him possibly starting PUP. He won't start over LaFell or Green. Boyd is (presumably) healthy, has a good skillset and a year on him. So, best case, he comes in for a few downs when we're up, or he replaces someone injured. He's a pick for down the road, as opposed to guys who could have started rotating in on the DL as soon as possible.

And since when does leading in redzone TDs "debunk" that he's more than a speed guy? Speed doesn't help score in the redzone? I didn't say he was only a deep threat, I said his only tool is his speed. He's not good at selling or adjusting to bad throws, hes a guy that gets to where he needs to be quickly. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's not a knock. But smart, experienced NFL corners are going to know where he's going, get there before him and get a hand in his face. 

2. Experienced coming off an injury is different than inexperienced. Experienced players know how to get the job done even if they have lost a step. Not really having any cake, just the difference in relying on a pro with an injury and gambling on a rookie with one.

3. Maybe. It'll be a couple years before we know. I hope you're correct, but I would temper that with the last time they tried that strategy at DE, we got... Margus Hunt.

That's my trepidation. 

I don't mind if we take later round picks to fill spots of need, but you can't take  project, wait four years and take another. 

4. We're banking a lot on "he only fell because of injuries." Sometimes it pans out, and sometimes we get Ogbuehi as a tackle.

5. I'd disagree. I think Green, LaFell, Boyd and Core is a pretty reliable four; beyond that, we had some options. I'm not opposed to this pick, I just don't see him making the team. Most likely practice squad, and most likely gone.

7. I'm ok with the pick. Like I said, he's an area of need. I just wish we'd taken a better one. 

8. Elflein is going to play guard or center in the next few years. Dielmann is going to fill out a roster until his rookie contract expires. Elfein was one of the few safe picks in the draft and fit the Bengals' philosophy of 'just plug him in somewhere.' And, no, I'm not an OSU fan. I'm a Golden Domer. But Elfein was still my favorite OL pick out of this draft as far as ceiling and versatility. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - Benton - 04-30-2017, 09:56 PM
RE: Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - Benton - 05-01-2017, 01:47 AM
RE: Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - 3wt - 05-01-2017, 01:18 PM
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - BenZoo2 - 05-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - BenZoo2 - 05-01-2017, 12:26 PM
RE: Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - CJD - 05-01-2017, 10:43 PM
RE: Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - J24 - 05-01-2017, 11:06 PM
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - BenZoo2 - 05-01-2017, 11:29 PM