Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need to train college o lineman
(05-01-2017, 10:34 AM)Au165 Wrote: I know a guy who played 5 years in the NFL at RT relatively recently (think 2006/07 was last year). He is adamant that Paul Alexander is one of the most well respected O line coaches in the league. He said from a technical stand point there really isn't anyone better which is why he is part of the premier offensive line conference that is held each year (can't remember the name). I think too often people get upset with his projects, but in reality he doesn't pick the guys only gives his opinion. If we need a Center and they won't give us one until the 4th then he is going to work with what he gets. When he has been given high picks they have actually turned out pretty good.

As for the whole Bodine thing, if you look at his 2015 PFF grade to 2017 he literally was twice as good. If we can get that same jump from last year to this year he will be fine.

Alexander has always had his defenders. My expertise at football is not great. But watching the Bengals for a long time, we never seem to have as good an offensive line as the Steelers or the Pats.

It seems our pass blocking is better than run blocking which may be related to Andy's quick release. It is also a bad circumstance since Marvin has always wanted us to be a run first team.

We have been very poor on short yardage running for as long as I can remember.

Bodine went from being one of  the worst center in the league to maybe 25th or so but still way below average.

From my unlearned perspective, he is particularly bad against 3-4 defenses, which just happens to be the system run by Steelers and Ravens.  His better games seem to be against teams who run a 4-3 system like our system.

I hope he improves. I would love for Bodine to become an above average NFL center. I will be pleasantly surprised.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need to train college o lineman - bengals67 - 05-01-2017, 10:47 AM