Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volunteering to watch an execution
(05-02-2017, 11:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Once again the debate at hand is not about whether one agrees or disagrees with capital punishment. Much like abortion; it is legal and many disagree with the practice. The debate at hand is should it be allowed to be witnessed by the public.

I agree Bfine. I thought I was just adding some context. Both of my above posts, and pictures, are about "witnessing."

Remember my central point was not simply that the death penalty diminishes the valuation of life generally in any society which adopts it, but also that public viewing would diminish that valuation even more so. 

In countries like China, where executions are pubic, part of the point seems to be state intimidation of the populace.

I understand the requirement for "public witnesses." Very official. But I find the motives for the serial witnessers here troubling, ranging as they do from apparent titillation to callous, sadistic satisfaction. It's like the 18th century public spectacle only in smaller sample size.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Volunteering to watch an execution - Dill - 05-03-2017, 04:10 PM