Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volunteering to watch an execution
(05-02-2017, 07:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do you think executions should be open to the "public"? I do. Would I volunteer to witness? No. If I were standing around and they asked if I could represent the public; I'd say sure.

See, this is what is interesting for me. As someone who is against the death penalty, I am fully in support of objective witnesses to the executions. I'm not necessarily for doing it in the public square or broadcasting it, but it needs to be witnessed.

I've never hidden the fact that I am a bureaucrat. I'm a social democrat that favors strong government programs, so obviously I am someone that trusts in the government more than, say, a libertarian. But, I trust in the government when there is accountability in place. Our bureaucracy and our elected officials must be held accountable, and objective witnesses to an execution are exactly that. While the fourth estate can provide that to an extent, there is something to be said to ordinary citizens acting in that capacity.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Volunteering to watch an execution - Belsnickel - 05-03-2017, 04:20 PM