Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good article on MMQB this morning ....
(05-04-2017, 07:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Like when Aaron Rogers had a 60% completion % and threw for 3800 yards in 2015 (400 fewer than Dalton did last year)?  He lost Jordy Nelson.  Ouch.  Try losing AJ Green, Gio, and Eifert...  And when was the last time you saw Brady actually take a few hits in a game?  I will tell you when....it was in games they LOST.  He has had excellent protection over the years.  Subpar my ass. 

This proves the point that you get a pass on those things once you win a Super Bowl, which is stupid because Brady was little more than a game manager when he won his first Super Bowl.  Ditto Piggy...actually, he was just supposed to not be horrible and they would win.

Dalton has been asked to do way more with less ever since he arrived to a team that was supposed to go 0-16.  Heading in to his SEVENTH year, they invest in another elite offensive weapon to pair with AJ Green.  Carson Palmer had Chad, TJ, Henry, Rudi, and an excellent offensive line.  He made a whopping two playoff games, and lost them both.  

Dalton's stats are almost identical to Brady and Mannings at this point in his career.  Now, he will take the next step.  All that needs to happen is he has Ross, Eifert, and AJ for the entire season and at least one RB not averaging less than 3 ypc.

I disagree with a lot of your points here.

- AJ Green & Tyler Eifert are top 3 at their skill positions in the entire NFL and have been for years. Andy has had a strong, and at some positions elite cast around him. It's not as if every year AD loses all of these options in the post season, while other QBs have them all and therefore they win.
- The O-line was very good until last season for the entire time Dalton has been in Cincy. This narrative that he has been sacked a bunch throughout his career is bullshit. He got beat up badly for just this last season. Up until then the line has been very good.
- The Defense AD has had has been MUCH MUCH better than anything Carson had. Not even close.
- ST has been better while AD has been on the team.

- The playoff lose to INDY is a throw away in my book. That's not on AD at all.
- The SD playoff game... I wouldn't blame him if he wakes up in a hot panic over that game for the rest of his life. That was gross to watch and 100% on him, IMO.
- The other playoff loses had putrid performances turned in by AD, and were all potentially winable with better QB play. These have been spoken on ad nauseam.

AD's stats are similar, with the exception of the fact that those other QBs you mention: Rogers, Brady, Manning, have all produced in the playoffs in big ways. AD hasn't. It's been quite the opposite. He has been HORRIFIC in the playoffs. I mean, freaking disgusting. That's the fact of it, no matter how much I like the guy as a person and as a player.

None of the stat comparisons actually matter without post season success, which is what the great QBs have. Lots of QBs have won with injured guys. Lots of them. Brady was a game manager... who managed the games to some Superbowls. THAT'S a huge difference. And now he's the greatest QB of all time.

AD is still looking for a singular playoff victory. Who cares what his reg seasons look like? The Bengals have enough talent to win in the post season. The QB needs to bring his game up to make it happen.

^ Look, this is all in the past. I mean... years ago. None of it matters. Andy Dalton CAN do it. He just hasn't. His career will be defined by on if he can take his potential and realize it. It's a team game, yes, but the QB position is the most influential in all of sports. It begins and ends with AD. Even though it might not sound like it in the above stuff I wrote, I think AD CAN do it. There's a lot of upside and career left for him. I'm just not going to rewrite the history and careers of other guys when comparing them to him. Barring catastrophic injury, lots of football left for AD to play!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Good article on MMQB this morning .... - PDub80 - 05-04-2017, 08:51 PM