Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thus would be a perfect year for Wyche to help out Zamp.g
(05-08-2017, 12:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: You mean like the facets of his offense they are still running today?  Typically, I would agree, but an innovator is an innovator.  Sam still studies the game, keeps current, and often even adds insight to today's goings on.  Sam even offered a couple of years ago to help tutor Dalton along, because he "liked what he saw" in Andy, but felt he just needed a little tweaking.  Then, came House and Hue Jackson.  Some on here like to sell him short for his record with an organization with 5 playoff wins TOTAL in the entirety of its lifespan, but the guy knows how to exploit matchups, and always has.  Coaching IU against Big 10 heavyweights in the 1980s?  No problem, just condition the hell out of your squad and run the no huddle as base offense to narrow the talent gap.  Came up with the outlawed "sugar huddle" to go along with running the no huddle, and the complex language to run no huddle offense as a base.  He also almost won a Super Bowl against a legendary dynasty with a QB who had a bum shoulder entering the playoffs, against the QB he tutored as a rookie in Joe Montana.  Went on to draft the cornerstones of the Super Bowl Champion Buccaneers in Warren Sapp, John Lynch, and Derrick Brooks.  The guy is no slouch, even in his 70s.  Plenty of articles out there about it.

The guy who invented the forward pass was innovative too, but I don't think he would still be competitive now. The issue is while he created a scheme with staples still used today, the years people have had to adapt to it make a lot of what was innovative out of it common place. I'm telling you right now, that there are plenty of people today that are better equipped to lead an offense then someone who has coached decades ago. It would be like asking Buddy Ryan to come back and run the 46 defense because it was so innovative and effective back in the 80's.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thus would be a perfect year for Wyche to help out Zamp.g - Au165 - 05-08-2017, 02:10 PM