Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With Merkel's Foes in Disarray, Germany Defies the Trump Trend
(05-08-2017, 05:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Guess I need to remind you that Nazis did not "equate" opponents with racism. They condemned them for criticizing racism. Remember their goal was to slander an entire religion and Semitic race, calling them a threat to Western culture as well as German values.  So I understand your sensitivity to Nazi analogies, even where they are not directly made. You also want to denigrate an entire religion and define its (predominately Semitic) followers as a wholesale threat to "Western values." If denigrating an entire people is what you want to do, then where do you see lack of nuance? Your wholesale denigration is not racist? I have met people who avoid this rather obvious question by presenting themselves as unfairly accused by it. They want to condemn a whole religion without any blowback in world where that always turns out badly. But rather than putting the issue to rest with a clear answer, they choose not to dignify it with an answer. Which doesn't work.

I thought about this some more, and this little excerpt really deserves more attention.  it is a common tactic by people like you to label their opponents as racist.  Thankfully that doesn't really occur on this board, especially not since certain less reputable people departed or did not follow us over here.  But this quote is a really vile, and slanderous attack on a view point that differs from your own.  Quite simply, you owe me a major apology for your attempt to label me as a racist.  If you don't supply an apology then know that I consider you a reprehensible person, despite your lofty assertions of "going high" and your claiming of an imaginary intellectual high ground.  

So you are going to present yourself as unfairly accused.

I actually haven't labeled you a "racist." I asked you what, in your view, separates your condemnation of a whole world religion from racism, given the odious genealogy of such views. That is a question. Where is that "nuance" you see lacking? Instead of regarding this as a piece of cake and setting to work on your clarifying explanation, you demand an apology.

And if I have misunderstood you, I am ready to apologize if we can get some clarity on your stance towards Islam. 

Did you or did you not say:  

A phobia is an unreasonable fear.  As islam has quite adequately demonstrated that they are an ideology whose teaching should quite logically be feared by anyone who cherishes Western democratic and secular values then such fear cannot be considered unreasonable.

You saying here that Islam, as a whole, as a world religion, is to be FEARED? That it is a THREAT to Western, democratic and secular values. You are not saying "some Islamists"; and you are not saying "merely different," but a "threat" right? And you are not just talking about Germany now.  I am not "lying" or "deliberately misquoting you" or some such, am I?

But it would be wrong to characterize your words as denigrating a whole religion? Do you maintain that too?

Before going any further, you need to tell me if I have got you right. If I have not, then do not go off on a rant about lying and misrepresentation--instead, explain what I have misunderstood and what you really mean.

And you need to tell me if you recognize any distinction between asking a question about racism and accusing someone of racism.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: With Merkel's Foes in Disarray, Germany Defies the Trump Trend - Dill - 05-08-2017, 07:00 PM