Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USDA secretary announces halt on school nutrition standards
(05-09-2017, 11:15 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: You have an extremely narrow view. What low income kids are getting Ipads just to shut the hell up?

What about the kids who eat one meal a day that basically gives them no nutrition? I guarantee they don't have Ipads and McNuggets raining down on them.

I spent the majority of my public school career at well of school and had plenty of options to eat. Your cheapest was the basic food option which is garbage but you could spend a little more to get healthy food and a lot of people did.

Spent the last 3 years of High School at small rural school in a small town and they only had the basic food option and the choice to buy snack food which was all provided by Coke and companies they had inter workings with because Coke helped fund the baseball field the school had. No other options except junk and you could spend a little more and buy more junk. A lot of these kids were on the free meal plan and had no choice regardless.

The world is a big place there isn't one solution to a problem most of the time. I guess you would have to acknowledge there was a problem though first.

Huh?

I feel like you missed the point of my post. I was not saying that every kid in every household gets a $700 iPad or that they all get McNuggets. My response was about parents not taking accountability for their kids eating habits (or just their kids habits in general) by offering them "unhealthy" things to keep them happy. 

But that's not to say it's all the parents fault or that this is always the scenario, just that parents are a problem in the equation. But I also think you're mistaken if you don't think low income families don't buy fast food or ipads.

Your post also makes the assumption that kids will actually eat the "nutricious" things that they're given under the program rather than throw it in the garbage. But I guess that point is kind of irrelevant to the issue overall which is childhood obesity and the effectiveness of fighting it through school lunch menus.

Messages In This Thread
RE: USDA secretary announces halt on school nutrition standards - Matt_Crimson - 05-09-2017, 03:04 PM