Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EPA Scientific Advisory Board Shakeup
(05-09-2017, 01:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I can see how the different scientists on the board could fight over which one gets the money, but that would have no effect on the results they report.

The EPA has to do research BEFORE they can make any regulatory decisions.  They are always going to be doing research in many different areas.  It is not like they are going to stop doing research based on the results of their other research.

(05-09-2017, 01:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Regulatory decisions by the EPA can direct research into certain areas. An academic on the board has the potential to move the research trends in their direction, thus resulting in grant money.

How much independence does the EPA have in deciding WHAT to research?  I see so many potential problems here.

1. The EPA's research is restricted by defunding, by a lower "Americas First" budget.
2. It is restricted/directed by appointments and personnel cuts--including to the advisory board.
3. It can be further restricted by ideological consensus among/between those who direct the agency, those who "advise" it, and those who recommend/appoint them.

Environmental research/education suddenly has low priority; I fear that all manner of monitoring--the sort which might guide research--will be cut or restricted.  You cannot research problems/tendencies you cannot show exist.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: EPA Scientific Advisory Board Shakeup - Dill - 05-09-2017, 04:39 PM