Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EPA Scientific Advisory Board Shakeup
(05-09-2017, 06:55 PM)Benton Wrote: a businesses goal is to make profit. that's all.

any talk about making the world a better place is usally done for either lip service, or by company founders who don't have any authority since a board took over.

producing materials in a clean, practical manner is fine, but tha'ts not the goal of a business. the goal is making money. if you make more money making cheap, dirty, or even dangerous products, then you go with that option.

not that i'm opposed to industry having a voice in epa decisions. they have a stake, too. but i don't think they'll side with making their profit margins shrink.

I think you may underestimate the stewardship of some businesses. For instance I know an ad-hoc Econ Professor whose daytime job is working for one of the large cell phone service providers. He was assigned the project manager of a research project that looked for ways to reduce texting and driving.

He said it conflicted with his usual practice; as the goal was not to maximize profits.

I can provide numerous other examples of where big industry cut into their profit margin to do the "right thing". I think some of us are just too cynical.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: EPA Scientific Advisory Board Shakeup - bfine32 - 05-09-2017, 07:02 PM