Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EPA Scientific Advisory Board Shakeup
(05-10-2017, 09:35 AM)GMDino Wrote: My phone has an application for that.  When activated if the car goes about 10 MPH it turns on automatically and sends a pre typed message to whoever texted you.  Certain other applications won't work either.

There are tons of apps and similar things to accomplish the same thing. The issue is many grown adults do not have an interest in such applications. Texting and driving has kind of been the poster child of distracted driving but there are many other things almost everyone does that does in fact increase the chance of accidents that no one cares about. There are pretty telling statistics regarding things like talking on the phone, talking to someone in the car, eating or drinking, even listening to the radio.

Many get behind the "no texting and driving" idea because they can do without texting but many of the other ideas are so ingrained in most peoples driving life that they would freak out if they also got banned. In Europe you can be fined for distracted driving for eating or drinking while driving. How well would that go over in the U.S.? It may have not come across that way, but I agree texting and driving shouldn't be allowed. I don't however think there should be an actual required barrier from allowing it to happen (optional sure). Some would argue it could stop accidents, but I'd argue the car breathalyzer in every car could stop a majority of DUI's but that doesn't make it right to enact.

As I said though, I don't think people will run out to buy the newest smartphone that "restricts their freedoms".

Messages In This Thread
RE: EPA Scientific Advisory Board Shakeup - Au165 - 05-10-2017, 09:45 AM