Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Tempered Expectations for Draft Picks
https://youtu.be/3flv5nWZgII

Interesting read although with young athletes it's tough to predict the future. Sometimes the guys you least expect to find success are the ones who quietly carve out a solid career while others are a flash in the pan guys who start off like real studs, but quickly fizzle out, running backs especially. They take a real pounding in a very short period. I read somewhere (don't ask) that RBs only average 2.x years before injuries do them in and those are the good ones.. They come into the pros already pretty banged up from college ball and the pros don't make it one bit easier. WRs are similar, but sometimes speed makes the real difference as they tend to avoid the back breaking tackles moreso than RBs.. 
I tend to shy away from long term predictions simply because most of them are still learning how to avoid serious injuries and quite often a 20 year old player is not the same person on the field as the 25 year old player. Heck, in 5 short years they're often considered 'grizzly veterans'..  I don't know of too many professions where that holds true. Maybe a baseball catcher.. They take a pretty good pounding behind the plate. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tempered Expectations for Draft Picks - grampahol - 05-11-2017, 09:22 AM