Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tesla Solar Roof
(05-11-2017, 12:24 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: It's interesting, and not bad looking (though I'd like to see a real world example rather than an artist rendering).

I'd be a little dubious of some of the claims of savings.  Payback on solar panels is widely considered to be 8-10 years, depending on rates you get for selling excess power generation.  And solar panels lose efficiency over time, so how does their math work such that there's no replacement cost (which normal roofs have, as well)?

If this could actually work in the dreary winter months of the midwest and east, it would be an incredible development.  Better than the Tesla cars, which still can't be produced at a profit without tax incentives.  And Tesla is kind of new to the solar panel game, so I'm skeptical of claims made that more experienced manufacturers can't deliver.

As for the pay back, that is why I mentioned only really being interested if I was building a new home. If I buitl a new home I'd expect to be there for a long time at this point so it would be a long term play. They warranty against "power loss" for 30 years, so if they do lose efficiency (can't be sure they will without knowing more) they will be replaced.

While they are new to the solar power game, they are quite innovative in the battery game so I wonder if some of those innovations carried over. As for the Car's not produced for profit, last year they made 21% gross profit on their cars. The new Model 3 is projected to be able to clear 25% gross profit on it which would put it at a very high margin on an entry level luxury car. The only time anyone actually believes they lose money on cars is when they try factoring administrative costs and R&D, but that spans other segments than simply the motor side of the company and can't really be applied to a per unit basis.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Tesla Solar Roof - Au165 - 05-11-2017, 12:09 PM
RE: Tesla Solar Roof - JustWinBaby - 05-11-2017, 12:24 PM
RE: Tesla Solar Roof - Au165 - 05-11-2017, 12:42 PM
RE: Tesla Solar Roof - JustWinBaby - 05-11-2017, 01:44 PM
RE: Tesla Solar Roof - Au165 - 05-11-2017, 03:05 PM
RE: Tesla Solar Roof - fredtoast - 05-12-2017, 09:23 AM
RE: Tesla Solar Roof - WeezyBengal - 05-12-2017, 02:59 PM
RE: Tesla Solar Roof - Au165 - 05-12-2017, 03:11 PM