Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Tempered Expectations for Draft Picks
(05-11-2017, 07:54 PM)Whatever Wrote: Well, I did say he would be taking the majority of the #3 snaps by the end of next year, not this year.  As a mid round rookie, he will need to earn his touches and improve his route running, but I think he will supplant Boyd in time.  Boyd is an ok player, but he's just a possession receiver.  I don't think the Bengals are enamored with what Boyd brings to the table.  It is well known that they wanted a WR with deep speed early last year.  The board didn't fall their way, and desperate for a #3, they took Boyd in 2 based on need, but he wasn't what they wanted.  If you put AJ, Ross, and Boyd out there, the defense will gladly let you check it down to Boyd for 8-10 all day.  If you put Malone out there instead of Boyd, anyone of them can burn you for 6 at any time.  The Bengals have stated that they thought Malone would be gone in 2, so they thought very highly of him.

From the outside looking in, it seems like they are going for their version of "The Greatest Show on Turf" Rams on offense.  

Apologies I thought you said end of this year. I just am not sure if Malone will develop. But regarding Boyd, his ability to find holes in zone coverage and still make some contested catches is good. He has his own issues in making separation in man coverage but for a rookie Boyd made great strides as the year went on. I do think the team is going full Rams though. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tempered Expectations for Draft Picks - eoxyod - 05-11-2017, 08:07 PM