Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underappreciated Good qualities of Mike Brown Thread - (No Bashing wanted)
Being a decent human being actually goes a lot further than people seem to want to believe. 
I can't get inside his mind, but I do believe he is an honorable man who doesn't just blow off people for the sake of an ego.
I do believe he truly wants the team to win and win big, but there are a lot of moving parts to the game and the business. All the knocks about every little nitpicking issue is usually unwarranted, but fans for the most part seem to think they all know more than anyone involved in running the team despite the fact that 99.99% have never so much as sniffed football as a business. They forget that football is a business and that business is the entertainment industry first and foremost. They don't build widgets, houses, cars or really any tangible items and the few items that they do sell are not manufactured in some factory in the bowels of Paul Brown Stadium. The only product they provide is entertainment and like it or not the Bengals are entertaining. I know some of you think that having players of questionable backgrounds negatively reflects on the business and to a small extent it does, but it's very small when compared with every other team be it football, baseball or any other part of the entertainment industry. 
Nobody is forced to watch or partake in sports and I believe that Mike Brown has to weight the negatives with what will attract fans and that includes how well any given player plays his position. He could only sign players with impeccable backgrounds who have never been in any sort of trouble, but the pool of players with that kind of unblemished records is very limited. On top of it they also have to recruit guys not afraid to be very aggressive and violent when needed and try to limit that innate aggressiveness to only the field of play and actually win. That's a hell of a balancing act when you think about it. 
I don't know that I'd want to follow a team that only cares about winning at the expense of reputation, decency and how people are treated as human beings. 
I'm not 100% sure MB always measures up in every category of decency, but there's enough decency in him that I admire.   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Underappreciated Good qualities of Mike Brown Thread - (No Bashing wanted) - grampahol - 05-12-2017, 08:27 AM