Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals brilliant in taking Kicker Elliot over Gonzalez
(05-15-2017, 02:36 PM)shanebo Wrote: This reminds me of some of our past drafts in which we selected a lesser-regarded player -- or a player with question marks -- over the "consensus" picks at their positions:
2004 - Could've had Steven Jackson, but traded back and picked Chris Perry
2008 - Jerome Simpson over DeSean Jackson and Limas Sweed
2009 - Andre Smith over Eugene Monroe
2012 - Could've had David DeCastro, but traded back to pick Zeitler

Of course, other times we picked the "sure thing" over the question marks:
2000 - Peter Warrick over Plaxico Burress
2003 - Carson Palmer over Byron Leftwich and Kyle Boller
2008 - Keith Rivers over Jerod Mayo
2010 - Jermaine Gresham over Dez Bryant

Sometimes our picks work out (Dre, CP3), sometimes it's a wash (Zeitler), other times it's a disaster (Simpson, Rivers).  Only time will tell.  I just hope the decision to pick Elliot was based on a fair evaluation of his talent, rather than an expectation of their ability to retain/resign a slightly lesser but functional player at a lower price (which was always my suspicion with the Perry and Zeitler picks ... and, to a lesser extent, Andre Smith -- "We're signing you to play RT, so you have to take less $")

It's better to take a gamble like this in the 5th Round.

Honestly, the Bengals probably scouted him more as he's closer in Memphis. When you have limited scouts, I doubt you're going to Arizona too much to watch a kicker kick 2 fgs in a game.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals brilliant in taking Kicker Elliot over Gonzalez - THE PISTONS - 05-15-2017, 04:02 PM