Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMPORTANT BENGALS NAMES COME END OF SUMMER
(05-17-2017, 11:24 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: I don't remember reading anybody wanting Andre back last year.  He struggled in his last year here and everyone was glad to see him go. He then goes to Minny, struggles and is injured. Now people are happy he's back and think he's an upgrade over Zeit?

Zeit isn't worth 12 mil and Whit got more than I thought he would but at this point there is no evidence this line is better. Time will tell if it is good enough but anyone arguing that this line is better than the one that struggled last year is basing that on hopeful thinking and not evidence. 

Andre stuggled against quicker pass-rushing DEs when he was playing tackle.  A very different assignment than playing Guard.  Much like Cam Robinson in this year's draft (ironically, also from Bama), Andre is probably better suited to use his massive body inside.  Will he be an upgrade over Zeitler?  Who knows?  But I sure know this:  Whomever wins the job at RG next year will likely be an upgrade at the point of attack in running game.  The RG position needs to be a mauler, and Zeitler simply wasn't.  

I thought he would become one, but he decided a couple years ago that he didn't want to be the "fat lineman" and thought he could play better as a more trim, athletic player.  I still wonder if he was trying to set himself up to be a RT, but whatever the reason it did not work.  People heard "the top guard in free agency" and attributed that to mean "the top guard in the NFL", which he most certainly was not.  

And as far as any evidence about last year vs this year goes, you have to understand that Boling was playing through a significant shoulder injury last year before shutting it down week 17.  Bodine and Fisher have improved each year that they have been here, so the evidence shows the needle is pointing up in three of the four spots.  The fact that the Bengals didn't draft a Guard (until very late) shows me just how strongly they feel about Redmond and Westerman.  They have even said as much.  The fact that our former first round pick might be a back up here this year also gives me a lot of evidence of their faith in those guys.

It isn't just hope.  The line will be better at run blocking and could be better at pass blocking.  The additions of Ross and Mixon, plus a healthy TE squad, will also pay huge dividends this year. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: IMPORTANT BENGALS NAMES COME END OF SUMMER - SHRacerX - 05-19-2017, 06:05 AM