Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If only there had been more good guys with guns
(05-25-2017, 11:38 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Sorry to make you recover the same ground, but I missed it.

No worries, I'll live. 

Quote:In your standard Infantry platoon, the automatic weapons are the most casualty producing weapons organic to the Infantry platoon. Yes, they suppress better than the semiautomatic rifles, but they also kill better as well. In the defense, automatic weapons like the M240B cover the front of an entire squad and form the FPL (final protective line). To say they are "designed only to suppress" is simply wrong.

Sure, but why do they kill better, because they throw more lead down range.  I'll happily amend my statement to automatic weapons are designed to suppress and their lethality is caused by high firing rate, i.e. more rounds at the target increase the odds of one hitting the target.  My point about suppression is in addition to the obvious lethality of more rounds on target, which every firearm shares.  Of course, this only further reinforces my point, that automatic weapons are not viable options for civilian defense purposes.  For purposes of further discussion, you could point out to other posters why the standard infantry rifle does not have a full auto capability.

Quote:I don't know what a 2A proponent is

Sure you do, it's not to figure out.

Quote:and I didn't suggest you were a homogeneous monolith.

I'll apologize for the insinuation, you did not imply that.  Merely pointing out to others who may be reading that 2A proponents vary in opinion as much as any group.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If only there had been more good guys with guns - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-26-2017, 12:42 AM