Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Housing Secretary Ben Carson Says Poverty Is A 'State Of Mind'
(05-26-2017, 02:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think everybody can agree that we need to help those who need it; however, who determines who needs it and how much do they need?

If anyone thinks there aren't folks out there giving 100% and still struggling then they are idiots. likewise, if anyone thinks there aren't folks out there capable of supporting themselves that would rather let the government do it; they too, are idiots.

I disagree with Ben's assertion that poverty is a state of mind as it is not. Now being miserable, thinking the government owes you more, and/or choosing to let the government support you and your family when you are fully capable, now that's a state of mind.

I've seen opponents call this budget the "immoral budget"; but it is designed to reduce spending. What is moral about continually going deeper in debt and leaving future generations with the bill?

A lot of excellent points, and I think most people agree with a lot of what you're saying.

To the bold, the issue is more on what it's being spent on, and what it's not.

From the last numbers I received, we're increasing Homeland Security by 7% (it was already one of the bigger chunks of federal spending), DoD by 10% (the biggest chunk at $575 billion total) and 5% in VA (which I don't think anyone would argue isn't needed).

Among the cuts are several agencies (Delta Regional, Appalachian Regional Commission, USTDA) which help facilitate thousands of jobs, entrepreneurial efforts and job training. Many of those (DRA, ARC) are in the poorest, rural areas of the country. Cutting transportation funding is also going to shrink paving projects, bridge replacements, lock upgrades, etc.

So the budget spends more money on padding pockets of a few international investors by increasing military spending, but is going to cut out jobs and safety nets in place for those displaced.

I've shouted for reduced spending for 10+ years, but cutting out jobs and giving more money to a handful of defense contractors is the wrong way to do it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Housing Secretary Ben Carson Says Poverty Is A 'State Of Mind' - Benton - 05-26-2017, 04:53 PM