Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If only there had been more good guys with guns
(05-27-2017, 09:39 AM)xxlt Wrote: @SSF: I'll let you continue to demonstrate your own leanings, be they left, right, forward, or backward. My assertion was not that you personally painted the left as a monolith. I merely made an observation parallel to your own. You observed that not all gun "enthusiasts" are of one mind. Neither are all gun "nuts," by the way. I merely observed that not all people who deign to question gun policies and/or practices are of one mind. To put a finer point on it, not all left wingers want to take a dump on the 2nd amendment. Some are rootin' tootin' pistol packin' "good guys." And not all who see tragedy in the slaughter of an innocent young woman want to round up all the guns in America.

I'm at a loss for why you are so insistent on not being labeled or stereotyped yet react (predictably) and "challenge" the notion that others should not be labeled or stereotyped either. It's just odd.

Fair enough. 

Quote:@SSF and everyone else: I started this thread, and the OP asserts that there is a myth about good guys with guns that is a bigger whopper than Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and Aladdin all rolled into one. Part of the reaction was to attack "my" claim (which I never made) that "more gun laws" are not the answer. See, that is making assumptions and projections based on god knows what - but not responding at all to what the OP was about, which is the good guy with a gun mythology.

For what it's worth, I didn't expect too many people here to be able to discuss the myth, or even acknowledge it, and so far those expectations were proven right. This isn't the first time on a message board that a general remark has been perceived as a personal attack be it by SSF or someone else. For the record, it wasn't. So, to recap. SSF: all gun people don't think alike. Me: neither do all leftwingers. SSF: when did I say that? Me: um, I didn't mean to suggest you personally did, that wasn't the point, the point was, yeah, don't stereotype, so I was agreeing and expanding on the point, sorry if I did so poorly.
I was simply pointing out that just as as gun guys aren't like minded many other people grouped together also are not like minded. Sorry it was perceived as criticism or attack or claim or whatever - it was just a statement.

@ everyone: If anybody wants to defend the myth of the good guy with a gun, now would be a good time to do it. If anybody wants to keep telling me more gun laws are not the answer (which I never claimed) or scream "from my cold dead hands" (I also never said I hope Trump comes for your guns since that pussyfooting Obama never got around to it - too busy killin' Bin Laden and stuff) then it would be fine to do those things too. Carry on.

There are plenty of "good guy with a gun" stories if you care to look for them.  Anytime an intended victim is not victimized because they are armed you have a "good guy with a gun" scenario.  To pretend the scenario does not exist, in fact to use the word myth as you did, is the height of ignorance.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If only there had been more good guys with guns - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-27-2017, 11:19 AM