Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If only there had been more good guys with guns
(05-27-2017, 11:43 AM)xxlt Wrote: Do tell. I do care to look for those stories. What I generally find is stories like the one in the OP. Now, some would claim that is just another MSM conspiracy, and you know, maybe it is.

But when the biggest gun promoting lobby in America - the NRA - can never provide convincing data but only the myth of the good guy with a gun, and all the data I see and all the stories I read are more reflective of the one in the OP, I am left to believe that believing the myth is the height of ignorance.

They generally won't get reported because nothing happened.  The vast majority of defensive gun uses won't make the news because the armed citizen prevented a crime.  As for events that have been publicized, there have been stories mentioned on this very board; the AR armed homeowner's son who killed three home invasion suspects.  I will freely admit that compiling a solid database of defensive gun uses is a difficult, if not an impossible, task due to the fact that the media has no interest in them.  I say they have no interest not because they actively choose not to promote stories that show gun owners using their gun to protect themselves (although there may be some bias in this regard) but because there is no story to promote in most instances.  You heard about the AR armed homeowner's son because three people died, in most defensive gun uses the suspect flees without shots being fired, i.e. no story for the media to promote or even to become aware of.

I personally had a defensive gun use when I was twenty.  I was watching my parent's pets, and home, and was awoken by someone trying to get in the bedroom window, the bedroom I was sleeping in.  I grabbed my father's Smith and Wesson model 39, pulled the blinds with it pointed at the window and saw the guy see me and run across the yard and over the wall in less than a second.  You are more than welcome to dismiss this an anecdotal, that would be fair.  You are also more than welcome to dismiss my explanation of why the number of defensive gun uses are hard to compile, but my explanation is logical.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If only there had been more good guys with guns - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-27-2017, 12:05 PM