Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If only there had been more good guys with guns
(05-27-2017, 03:03 PM)xxlt Wrote: You are correct, that is a logical explanation. (And anecdotal evidence, but thanks for sharing it.)

It is also logical that merely raising the blind, raising the blind with a club in your hand, or merely turning on a light may have chased away would be home invader. Of course, the advantages of those three choices is they all include no chance of accidentally shooting yourself, one of your parents pets, your buddy who knew you were there and wanted to see if you wanted to do whatever (this is a hypothetical scenario, while you and the pets were real possibilities in your anecdote and not hypothetical), or you wounding or killing the guy and having to stand trial even though you were well within your rights to protect your folks property.

It's very possible, probable even, that he would have fled with my simply raising the blinds, my being armed or not.  Of course, there is the chance, however small, that he would not have.  In that instance my being armed would have been indispensable to my safety.  I was taught gun safety from a young age so the odds of a negligent discharge is likely less than the odds of the guy not running simply by my raising the blinds.

Quote:I am sure you have heard the old sayings about if you shot him and he made it to the wall drag him inside. Make sure there is an entry wound on the front... yada yada. Yeah, I know, those sorts of statements are the ramblings of goofy old men but honestly...

I didn't even have my finger on the trigger at that point, so shooting him wasn't yet on the table.

Quote: I am happy 20 year old you did not discharge the weapon and have to live through whatever investigation in the aftermath not to mention the anguish of having taken a life had the shot been lethal. Anyone I have ever talked to who took a life no matter how justified they were says it is something they would never wish on someone else.

I am sure you are not the only one who ever chased off a burglar/assailant with a gun. But, there are likewise many incidents of family members, friends, pets, and gun owners who were wounded or killed by their own weapon which they had so counted on in similar circumstances.

To be sure, I will absolutely concede that point.  Given that we both agree on this point it raises the real question; are the responsible gun owners who saved themselves from being the victim of a crime, and possibly their lives, worth the incidents in which people are accidentally shot and killed?  As someone who is going to fall on the side of personal responsibility for adults I am going to be in the affirmative on that question every time.  I can understand why someone would not, but, in saying so, they are taking away my right to defend myself responsibly due to the risk of another adult failing to be responsible and causing themselves or their loved ones injury.

As I have said many times, if you're going to restrict my rights as a US citizen it had better be for a damn good reason.  For me the reason that other people aren't going to be as responsible as me doesn't come remotely close to meeting that burden.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If only there had been more good guys with guns - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-27-2017, 03:15 PM