Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If only there had been more good guys with guns
(05-27-2017, 06:06 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The standard rifle/carbine issued to infantrymen is no longer automatic due to economic considerations.

We've established the rate of fire factors into the lethality of a firearm. That's one of the reasons why the Army uses 30 round mags. Less magazine changes means higher rate of fire. You've stated an AR-15 is an excellent home defense weapon.

No, while we did have a debate about the use of M855 as a home defense round I did not state that the AR is an excellent home defense option.  Personally, I would not use it in preference to other options I own.  Personally, I use my Benelli M4 as my long gun of choice for that purpose.

Quote:We agree a higher rate of fire increases the lethality of a weapon. So why do you believe a semiauto AR-15 is suitable for civilian use , but not an automatic AR-15?

I did explain this, but I have no problem reiterating.  Automatic fire is inherently less accurate than a three round burst and definitely semi-auto.  That coupled with the inevitable adrenaline dump your normal person will get in such circumstances makes for a lot of rounds off target.  More rounds off target means more rounds potentially hitting people, pets or property that are not the target.

Quote:Mechanically and design wise, only the sear is different. Functionally, only the rate of fire is different. But, I can't purchase an automatic AR-15 without a Class III license. But, I can buy a semiauto AR-15 at a gun show with no background check or record of the transaction.

I didn't write the NFA or the firearm owners protection act so you'd have to ask the people who did.  Additionally, I don't know that the gun show "loophole" is an issue of substance.  I don't recall hearing about many gun show purchases being used in crimes and I'd be willing to bet heavy money that if such instances occurred the anti's would have plastered all over the news.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If only there had been more good guys with guns - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-27-2017, 06:35 PM