Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Origin of the "F" Word
I've heard many different stories on the origin of the "F" word, like it being derived from a German word meaning to move back and forth. Although, the more plausible origin in my mind comes from the story of English Longbowmen since the first use of the word and the Longbow were introduced at around the same time.

The English Longbow was introduced in the late 1300's and was a deadly weapon of war. Opposing armies feared the Longbow and it's deadly reach including the amount of arrows the English could unleash against their enemies.

At around the 1450's was the first use of the "F" word in literature and from the beginning of the Longbow until that time is the right amount of time for the evolution of the word "Pluck" and the use of showing the middle finger.

When opposing armies would capture a Longbowman, they would cut off the middle finger/s of the Longbowman. Also, Longbowmen before battle would raise their hands to the opposing army and show their middle fingers as a sign of defiance while shouting "Pluck You".

Over the course of a few decades, that word "Pluck" turned into the "F" word.

Just a story I think is plausible although I'm sure our German and Austrian friends here will say it comes from the German word but I do believe the German didn't become a thing until the mid 1600's, so no, it's not the German, lol.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The Origin of the "F" Word - Nebuchadnezzar - 05-29-2017, 10:20 PM
RE: The Origin of the "F" Word - Millhouse - 05-29-2017, 10:54 PM
RE: The Origin of the "F" Word - XenoMorph - 05-30-2017, 02:07 PM
The Origin of the "F" Word - BenZoo2 - 05-30-2017, 03:08 PM