Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If only there had been more good guys with guns
(05-27-2017, 03:12 PM)xxlt Wrote: Thanks. Of course, that isn't the truth about guns. It is part of the truth. I thank you for sharing it, and I am glad that the tenders of that site tell that part of the truth.

Here is the rest of the truth: http://smartgunlaws.org/gun-deaths-and-injuries-statistics/

Again, to be clear, even though the website is called "smart gun laws" I am not arguing for legislative remedies, repealing the 2nd amendment, or confiscating guns. I am arguing for math. Math like guns kill more people in the US every two years on average than were killed during the entire Vietnam War. Maybe they save that many too, or ten times that many, I just don't think that is the case.

You are absolutely arguing for legislative remedies.  If not, then what are you arguing for?

Quote:More than 3 deaths an hour via homicide, suicide, or unintentional shooting seems like a lot to me.

Around 2/3'rds of gun related deaths are suicides.  Japan and Korea, both of which have insanely strict gun laws, have a much higher suicide rate.  Clearly guns are not needed to have a high suicide rate.  Including suicides in gun "violence" statistics is disingenuous in the extreme.

Quote:And it seems avoidable, particularly since this is not a problem in the vast majority of the rest of the world.

I think you meant the vast majority of the western world, because otherwise your statement would be false.  Of course no other western country has the right to own a firearm enshrined in their founding document.  Problematic isn't it?

Quote:Now, maybe the rest of the world is just full of better people, and because Americans are such a-holes we are stuck with 3 (or more) dying per hour here for all time because we are terrible. I would rather not believe that. I am not sure we are superior, but I hope we aren't inferior to citizens around the globe. We should be able to solve this problem.

Stop being disingenuous and state what you want.  Do you want guns to be outlawed?  Do you want guns confiscated?  Be honest with what you want that you think will fix this problem.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If only there had been more good guys with guns - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-31-2017, 12:06 AM